New York City School Suspension Representation
Gary Kaufman has been successfully representing students before the New York City Office of School Suspension since 2011. Mr. Kaufman initially began representing students in connection to criminal cases that were pending at the same time as their school suspension hearings. Mr. Kaufman now fights for the education of students regardless of whether there is a criminal matter attached to the student’s attempted suspension. Mr. Kaufman has handled serious cases, with the presumption of expulsion. Mr. Kaufman successfully convinced the Office of School Suspension to deviate from their presumption of expulsion for a high school student who brought a gun to school and allow that student to graduate.
When the Department of Education decides that they want to suspend a student, they give that student a very short date, which makes it difficult to hire an attorney and properly defend your child’s right to an education. Mr. Kaufman has been successful in defending these cases by:
- Pushing back the initial school suspension hearing to allow for adequate preparation.
- Obtaining all relevant paperwork from the school, so that Mr. Kaufman can fight for your child at the hearing with the same preparation and high level of advocacy he brings to a criminal trial.
- Gathers letters and other mitigating evidence to be used to minimize the punishment your child will receive if the charges are upheld.
- Vigorously cross examines the school’s witnesses at the hearing.
- Makes a passionate and well thought out argument on your child’s behalf.
(347) 855-9102For a FREE Consultation